Fighting for North Carolinians
Wayne Goodwin: A leader for all people in North Carolina
Wayne Goodwin is fighting for all North Carolinians as our Insurance Commissioner. Wayne’s public service and private sector experience make him the right person to represent us in this important office. His service as Insurance Commissioner, Assistant Insurance Commissioner, legislator and business owner provide him with the experience and skills that help him keep rates as low as possible.
As our Insurance Commissioner, Wayne ordered rate cuts, rate freezes and refunds that combined have provided savings in excess of $545 million for automobile drivers statewide, and ordered reductions in workers' comp rates for NC businesses that have saved $115+ Million for NC businesses.
Wayne required insurance companies to give up $800 Million of surplus in the coastal insurance wind pool that helped us avert a statewide homeowners' insurance crisis, and persuaded the legislature to expand monetary grants for fire, rescue and EMS departments statewide. That helps keep homeowner's insurance rates low. In addition, Wayne directed Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina to return $156 million to over 215,000 health insurance policyholders in North Carolina before the end of 2010.
Altogether, Wayne has saved North Carolina consumers, families, and small businesses over $1.5 billion during his first two years alone in office as Insurance Commissioner!
As he continues to serve as our Insurance Commissioner, Wayne has pledged:
- To keep forever focused on the dual commitment of a Commissioner of Insurance: recognizing the need for low, fair and reasonable insurance rates for consumers and businesses alike, and the necessity of a competitive insurance market in North Carolina;
- To preserve the Insurance Commissioner's authority to protect the public, by opposing attempts by the insurance industry and others to strip the Insurance Commissioner of his authority;
- To continue serving as the voice for all emergency services workers and first responders in State government;
- To expand the Seniors Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) so that senior citizens are given guidance through the maze that is Medicare Part D, and also preventing our senior citizens from being taken advantage of by unscrupulous persons who might recommend the wrong prescription drug plan;
- To strongly support the mission of the Safe Kids program, so that we can protect our state’s greatest and most precious resource, our children;
- To protect the public and businesses by fighting insurance fraud, whether that fraud is by a consumer, insurance agent, or unlawful business. Also, during this mortgage insurance crisis, to crack down on harassment by collection agencies.
- To continue having the most transparent Department of Insurance ever and the most transparent and open department in all of North Carolina state government.
- To continue to fight for all North Carolinians. Wayne is NOT affiliated with the insurance industry, but serves for the people.